10 Transformational Export Areas
EXIM supports U.S. innovation, employment, and technological standards in 10 Transformational Export Areas.
Use the two-step criteria below to assess whether the product or service you are exporting could be eligible for consideration as a Transformational Export Area[*]:
- Does the value of your export largely consist of equipment or services that…
- Will the foreign buyer use the export to…
Artificial Intelligence: equipment or services related to computerized systems intended for making the best decision given changing circumstances, without direct human input or intervention.
(e.g., visual perception, speech recognition, decision-making, and translation between languages)
…make the best decision given changing circumstances using a computerized system, without direct human input or intervention.
Biotechnology: equipment or services that utilize biological processes for industrial and other purposes.
(e.g., genetic manipulation of microorganisms to produce proteins, drugs, enzymes, and genetically modified organisms)
…utilize biological processes for industrial and other purposes.
Biomedical sciences: equipment or services related to advanced medical equipment and processes used for the diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions in humans.
(e.g., life sciences, physiological science, medical physics or bioengineering, design and use of medical equipment used to diagnose and treat various diseases)
…diagnose and/or treat medical conditions in humans with advanced medical equipment and processes
Wireless communications equipment
Wireless communications equipment: equipment or services intended for the distribution of information by means of digital electromagnetic transmission without the need for wires, optical fiber, or other synthesized materials.
(e.g., radio-frequency, infrared, microwave, or other types of electromagnetic or acoustic wave)
…distribute information by means of digital electromagnetic transmission without the need for wires, optical fiber, or other synthesized materials
Quantum Computing: equipment or services that facilitate the implementation and use of quantum computers (application of qubit superposition processing)
(e.g., application of qubit superposition processing)
…facilitate the implementation and use of quantum computers.
Renewable energy: …generate or use of energy produced from a naturally renewable source.
Energy efficiency: …reduce energy losses or consumption in a system or application.
Energy storage: …store energy with a capacity greater than 1kWh.
- Renewable energy: equipment or services related to the generation or use of energy produced from a naturally renewable source.
(e.g., biomass, hydropower, geothermal, wind, solar, biofuels)
- Energy efficiency: equipment, products or services selected and/or implemented for the purpose of reducing energy losses or consumption in a system or application.
(e.g., light bulbs, windows, insulation, smart homes, power management).
- Energy storage: equipment or services for storing energy with a capacity greater than 1kWh.
(e.g., batteries (both conventional and advanced), electrochemical capacitors, flywheels, power electronics, control systems, and software tools for storage optimization and sizing)
Emerging financial technologies
Emerging financial technologies: equipment or services related to the improvement or automation of the delivery and use of financial services.
(e.g., including technologies that facilitate financial inclusion through increased access to capital and financial services; data security and privacy; payments, the transfer of funds, and associated messaging services; and efforts to combat money laundering and the financing of terrorism)
…improve or automate the delivery and use of financial services.
Water treatment and sanitation
Water treatment and sanitation: equipment or services related to the production and/or distribution of potable water for human consumption; or the collection and/or treatment of wastewater, regardless of origin.
…produce or distribute potable water for human consumption; or collect and/or treat wastewater, regardless of origin.
For additional information on 5G, please click here
* EXIM reserves the right to determine if a transaction undermines the intent of the charter mandate. To the extent a U.S. export may qualify as a Transformational Export primarily due to its end-use, it may not qualify if it is used in conjunction with a foreign supplier who directly competes with a U.S. supplier in a Transformational Export Area or would otherwise undermine U.S. competitiveness in a Transformational Export Area. If a transaction is determined not to qualify as a Transformational Export, it may still qualify as a 402(A) direct China competition transaction.