Program on China and Transformational Exports:
Supporting Water Treatment and Sanitation Exports
Given the positive health, economic, and environmental impacts of the water treatment and sanitation industry, EXIM is committed to actively supporting U.S. exports in this sector. The largest need for clean water and proper sanitation exists in emerging markets where most commercial lenders will not assume associated financial risk.
EXIM provides competitive financing solutions to help level the playing field for U.S. exporters and empower them to compete in a fierce global marketplace. The agency’s financing facilities enable buyers of U.S. goods and services to make selections based on the quality of the offerings, rather than on financing terms.
EXIM has a strong record of financing exports for potable water supply and wastewater treatment projects. Since 2009, the agency’s Environmental Exports Program has helped finance more than $400 million of U.S. exports for water projects. Depending on the market, EXIM can work with national and local governments or privatized water authorities and utilities.
EXIM has significant experience evaluating international opportunities where U.S. goods and services are being procured. The agency’s experience spans several subsectors, including:
- Modular water and wastewater treatment systems
- Zero liquid discharge treatment
- Water reuse
- Water filtration
- Engineering and design services
- Equipment related to water treatment, including pipes, pumps, and membranes
EXIM Success Stories
- Aquatech International, a Pennsylvania small business, used EXIM’s working capital loan guarantee to expand sales of industrial water and wastewater treatment solutions and services to buyers around the world.
- Tetra Tech, a California company, used an EXIM-backed direct loan to finance a water-supply project in Sri Lanka.
- BioMicrobics, a Kansas small business, used EXIM’s loan guarantee to export wastewater treatment systems to Mexico.
EXIM’s Export Financing Solutions
EXIM is a long-standing global leader and innovator in the development of competitive export credit financing solutions. EXIM was the first export credit agency to create a limited recourse project financing team. Today the agency continues to lead the way in creative market solutions to promote the procurement of U.S. goods and services. Export financing and risk mitigation solutions available through EXIM include:
- Working Capital Loan Guarantees
- Medium-Term Credit Insurance
- Direct Loans
- Guaranteed Loans
- International Receivable Insurance
- Capital Market Guarantees
- Bridge Loan Financing
Benefits to Seeking an EXIM Financing Solution
Working with EXIM, U.S. companies can further grow their international customer base, showcase the quality of well-made American goods and services, monetize their valuable intellectual properties, and support U.S. jobs while significantly reducing the risk of nonpayment on international sales. Financing can be provided for customers in markets where private-sector medium- and long-term financing is not available.
Other benefits of EXIM’s financing solutions include:
- Up to 100 percent risk coverage: EXIM guarantees to commercial lenders are unconditional, transferable, and can cover up to 100 percent of commercial and political risks on the EXIM financed portions.
- Industry expertise: Sector-focused deal teams with extensive experience execute complex corporate, structured, and project finance transactions globally.
- Competitively priced: EXIM loan guarantees are backed by the full faith and credit of U.S. government.
- Foreign currency guarantees: EXIM offers foreign currency denominated guarantees for readily convertible currencies. In addition, the agency may also consider guarantees in other currencies on a case-by-case basis.
- Local costs financing: EXIM offers financing for up to 30 percent of eligible local costs.
Enhanced Financing for Environmental Exports
EXIM financing helps mitigate risk for U.S. environmental companies and also offers competitive financing terms to international buyers for the purchase of American-made environmental goods and services. EXIM support for U.S. water treatment and sanitation companies ultimately fuels U.S. job creation as well as the innovative research and development that allows the U.S. environmental industry to remain at the forefront worldwide.
EXIM’s Environmental Exports Program makes international sales and projects more financially viable with financing enhancements including:
- Certain renewable energy and water transactions are eligible for 18-year repayment terms.
- All qualifying environmental export transactions, including renewable energy and water projects, are eligible for:
- Capitalized interest during construction.
- Automatic availability for up to 30 percent of local cost financing.
- For more information, contact Craig O'Connor, Director of EXIM’s Office of Renewable Energy and Environmental Exports, at Craig.Oconnor@exim.gov.
- For more information about the Program on China and Transformational Exports, contact ChinaProgram@exim.gov.
EXIM is an independent federal agency that promotes and supports American jobs by providing competitive and necessary export credit to support sales of U.S. goods and services to international buyers. A robust EXIM can level the global playing field for U.S. exporters when they compete against foreign companies that receive support from their governments. EXIM also contributes to U.S. economic growth by helping to create and sustain hundreds of thousands of jobs in exporting businesses and their supply chains across the United States. In recent years, approximately 90 percent of the total number of the agency’s authorizations has directly supported small businesses. Since 1992, EXIM has generated more than $9 billion for the U.S. Treasury for repayment of U.S. debt.