Renewable Energy and Environmental Exports
Since 1992, EXIM has had a mandate in its congressional charter to increase support for environmental exports, including renewable energy.
EXIM program enhancements for renewables and environmental exports include:
- Certain renewable energy and water treatment transactions are eligible for 18-year repayment terms.
- Financing for local costs up to 30% of the U.S. export contract.
- Capitalization of interest during construction.
- EXIM was the first international financing institution to finance a solar-power project under the Indian government’s National Solar Mission.
- EXIM financed the largest-ever export of small wind turbines with a $6.4 million loan guarantee that supported the export sale of Northern Power Systems Inc. 100kw turbines to Italy.
- EXIM provided a 10-year Loan Guarantee to PNC Bank to finance a 1.4MW rooftop-solar project for Sustainable (Barbados) Recycling Centre Inc.
- EXIM provided a $4.86 million 15-year Loan Guarantee to finance the export of environmental services from POWER Engineers Inc. to a geothermal power plant in Turkey.
- Bio-Microbics Inc. exported 10 FAST® wastewater treatment systems to Acuapro S.A., of Monterrey, Mexico, under a 10-year, $824,000 Loan Guarantee.
EXIM Credit Requirements:
EXIM must have a reasonable assurance of repayment and can make a credit decision based on:
- Corporate borrowing approach based on the financial condition of the borrower/guarantor.
- Limited recourse project finance with a special purpose company borrower and project cash flows as source of repayment
- Structured finance transaction with the borrower’s balance sheet enhanced by project cash flows.
For more information, contact Craig O'Connor, Director of EXIM’s Office of Renewable Energy and Environmental Exports. For more information about the Program on China and Transformational Exports, contact ChinaProgram@exim.gov.