Program on China and Transformational Exports: Supporting Biotechnology
The U.S. biotechnology industry, including products and services related to the agriculture, food, and medical industries, represents a critical area for EXIM action. For every one job created in biotechnology, nearly two more are created in other sectors across rural America. Biotechnology has the potential to improve the lives of people in the United States and around the world, and maintaining the competitive advantage and technological leadership of the U.S. biotechnology industry is essential to America’s economic and national security.
EXIM provides competitive financing solutions, when private lending options are unavailable, to level the playing field for U.S. exporters and empower them to compete in a fierce global marketplace. The agency’s financing facilities enable buyers of U.S. biotechnology goods and services to make selections based on the quality of the products being offered, rather than on financing terms.
EXIM’s Biotechnology Experience
EXIM has significant experience evaluating international biotechnology opportunities where U.S. goods and services are being procured. The agency’s experience spans several categories of biotechnology products and services, including:
- Soil enhancement
- Food additives
- Nutrient supplementation
- Diagnostic machinery and equipment
- Waste and pollution treatment
- Services provided to biotechnology companies
EXIM Success Story
Flow Sciences, based in Leland, North Carolina, designs and manufactures engineered containment solutions for a variety of research and production applications. The small business has used EXIM’s export credit insurance since 2006 to support exports valued at $11 million.
EXIM’s Export Financing Solutions
EXIM is a long-standing global leader and innovator in the development of competitive export credit financing solutions. EXIM was the first export credit agency to create a limited recourse project financing team. Today the agency continues to lead the way in creative market solutions to promote the procurement of U.S. goods and services. Export financing and risk mitigation solutions available through EXIM include:
- Working Capital Loan Guarantees
- Medium-Term Credit Insurance
- Short-Term Insurance
- Direct Loans
- Guaranteed Loans
- International Receivable Insurance
- Capital Market Guarantees
- Bridge Loan Financing
Benefits to Seeking an EXIM Financing Solution
Working with EXIM, U.S. companies can further grow their international customer base, showcase the quality of well-made American goods and services, monetize their valuable intellectual properties, and support U.S. jobs while significantly reducing the risk of nonpayment on international sales. Financing can be provided for customers in markets where commercial medium- and long-term financing is not available.
Medium- and long- term financing benefits include:
- Up to 100 percent risk coverage: EXIM guarantees to commercial lenders are unconditional, transferable, and can cover up to 100 percent of commercial and political risks on the EXIM financed portions.
- Industry expertise: Sector-focused deal teams with extensive experience execute complex corporate, structured, and project finance transactions globally.
- Competitively priced: EXIM loan guarantees are backed by the full faith and credit of the U.S. government.
- Foreign currency guarantees: EXIM offers foreign currency denominated guarantees for readily convertible currencies. In addition, the agency may also consider guarantees in other currencies on a case-by-case basis.
- Local costs financing: EXIM offers financing for up to 30 percent of eligible local costs.
Short-term financing benefits include:
- Export Credit Insurance
- Risk reduction: Safeguard against losses from buyer nonpayment.
- Up to 95 percent risk coverage: EXIM export credit insurance for exporters is conditional and covers up to 95 percent of commercial and political risks on the EXIM-insured portions. On select transactions in support of eligible bulk agricultural commodities, coverage up to 98 percent of commercial and political risks is available.
- Fairly priced: There are no application fees or minimum premiums. A one-time, refundable advance deposit of $500 is required to issue the policy.
- Foreign currency insurance: EXIM offers foreign currency coverage for readily convertible currencies. In addition, the agency also may consider other currencies on a case-by-case basis.
- Working Capital Loan Guarantee
- Flexible financing for large contracts.
- Attractive advance rates and inclusion of otherwise excluded collateral into the borrowing base.
- Lower collateral requirements for bid bonds, performance bonds, or advance payment guarantees.
- For more information about medium- and long-term financing, contact Douglas Frye in the Global Infrastructure Division at email@example.com.
- For more information about short-term financing, contact the nearest EXIM Regional Finance Center.
- For more information about the Program on China and Transformational Exports, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
EXIM is an independent federal agency that promotes and supports American jobs by providing competitive and necessary export credit to support sales of U.S. goods and services to international buyers. A robust EXIM can level the global playing field for U.S. exporters when they compete against foreign companies that receive support from their governments. EXIM also contributes to U.S. economic growth by helping to create and sustain hundreds of thousands of jobs in exporting businesses and their supply chains across the United States. In recent years, approximately 90 percent of the total number of the agency’s authorizations has directly supported small businesses. Since 1992, EXIM has generated more than $9 billion for the U.S. Treasury for repayment of U.S. debt.
 Presidential Message on National Biotechnology Month, January 1, 2020.