Fixed-Rate Term Financing for International Buyers
EXIM's direct loans help U.S. companies secure competitive financing for their international buyers. EXIM provides fixed-rate financing — up to 12 years in general and up to 18 years for renewable energy projects — to creditworthy international buyers in both the private and public sector, and finance local costs up to 30 percent. With EXIM’s direct loans, international buyers get competitive term financing that may previously have been unavailable.
How Can Direct Loans Help U.S. Businesses?
EXIM Direct Loans Provide:
- Financing for international buyers of U.S. goods and services.
- No limits on transaction size.
- Fixed-rate financing with interest rate set at the Commercial Interest Reference Rate (CIRR).
- Coverage for 100 percent of commercial and political risks.
- Financing of up to 30 percent of local costs in addition to the U.S. exports.
- Financing of ancillary services and fees, such as financial, legal, or lender fees.
- EXIM finances only the U.S. content. Please review the Content Policy for more information.
- EXIM can do business in most markets. However, the agency may be limited or unable to offer financing in certain countries and under certain terms. (See Country Limitation Schedule.)
- EXIM cannot support exports of military or defense products and services (with some exceptions), nor can it support purchases made by military buyers. (See Military Policy.)
- All direct loans are subject to U.S.-flag shipping requirements. (See Shipping Policy – MARAD.)
- Products must be shipped from the United States to a foreign buyer.
- There is no minimum or maximum limit to the size of the export sale that may be financed with EXIM’s direct loan.
EXIM direct loans to international buyers are generally used for financing purchases of U.S. capital equipment and services. Prior to approving certain transactions, EXIM will consider the economic impact of a particular transaction (see Economic Impact policies) and the environmental effects (see Environment policies).
- Coverage is available for medium-term and long-term transactions. The total level of EXIM support will be the lesser of 85 percent of the value of all eligible goods and services in the U.S. supply contract or 100 percent of the U.S. content in all eligible goods and services in the U.S. supply contract.
- Letter of Interest processing fee is $100.
- Commitment fee is 0.5 percent, based on unused portions of the loan.
- Exposure fee is based on risk (variable; see exposure fee calculators).
- Interest rate fixed at Commercial Interest Reference Rate (CIRR).
- Generally, the repayment term of a transaction is determined by numerous variables, including but not limited to: the borrower's financial condition, the common repayment terms the market gives such products, specific industry practices, industry and country conditions, useful life, OECD and Berne Union agreements, and the matching of terms offered by other foreign government-sponsored financing.
- Repayment terms are generally in excess of seven years.
- Final Commitment (AP): If the contract has been awarded, only the international borrower may submit the final commitment (AP) application.
- Letter of Interest (LI): If the contract has not been awarded, then a U.S. company (the seller), an international borrower, or a lender may request a nonbinding letter of interest (LI) containing EXIM terms for the specific transaction. The LI is processed within seven working days, is valid for six months, and can be renewed.
- Preliminary Commitment (PC): In exceptional cases, EXIM will accept an application for a preliminary commitment (PC). A PC is a nonbinding expression of interest from EXIM that the borrower's needs, as outlined in the application, generally meet EXIM's financing requirements.
- Call or visit the nearest EXIM Regional Export Finance Center.
- Review the application process and find documents online.
- Contact EXIM for assistance.